crab apple tree?

Moderator: appledude

tokerlund

crab apple tree?

Post by tokerlund »

I have 4 ornimental crab apple trees in my backyard. They have always bloomed white flowers in very early spring (may in North Dakota). I was told they were non-fruiting crab apples. Implanted two apple trees last fall. As I was raking up leaves I noticed a few dozen orange marble sized crab apples hanging from the tree. This is the style all over the area. Can I expect them from now on? I would love to see more on my trees as I make a decent homemade wine from my neighbors tree like this just a block away. I would love any info you might have!
SOME IDIOT

Re: crab apple tree?

Post by SOME IDIOT »

Yes, They should continue to produce apples.
tokerlund

Post by tokerlund »

Any thoughts on why this was the first time they have ever done so? These trees havent produced apples since they were planted 20-30 years ago or so i am told!

It was a bumper crop around here this year. It was also the first year I had other apple trees of a different. Species. Close by.
SOME IDIOT

Post by SOME IDIOT »

Most apple trees are self sterile and will not produce apples unless there is another species of tree near by. That is why adding the new trees caused them to start producing apples. I would guess the crop was small this year because your new trees has a small amount of blossoms. The more you new trees mature, the more crab apples you should get.
tokerlund

Post by tokerlund »

Sweet! I just had one little blossom on my new trees. It resulted in one apple. The problem is, the old crab apple trees blossom so early and my new apple trees blossom well after the flowers have fallen off of my crab apple trees. I am hoping for even more next year. I would love to be able to make several gallons of crab apple wine each fall!