Apple Crop in Alabama

Moderator: appledude

applesmash

Apple Crop in Alabama

Post by applesmash »

Does anyone know how the apples are doing in Alabama? I see where one orchard has closed early due to weather conditions.
PA_Docent

Re: Apple Crop in Alabama

Post by PA_Docent »

Here in PA, the harvest is reported to be only 50% this year. The 50% that was harvested, nearly all were attacked by stink bugs :(
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
SOME IDIOT

Post by SOME IDIOT »

Some interesting reading about the apple crop this year. I know all the orchards around me were devistated by the drought.

http://www.thegrower.com/news/US-Apple- ... 83126.html
OrangePippin-Richard

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

We visited several orchards in VA recently, and their crop seemed to be holding up fairly well and quality was good.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

SOME IDIOT wrote:Some interesting reading about the apple crop this year. I know all the orchards around me were devistated by the drought.

http://www.thegrower.com/news/US-Apple- ... 83126.html
I wonder if they are comparing over several year period or just last year?
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

OrangePippin-Richard wrote:We visited several orchards in VA recently, and their crop seemed to be holding up fairly well and quality was good.
In PA, even the Stayman had a few stings. The effect of the sting only went down a few mm. The York Imperial (sweet apple) was so favored by the Stink Bugs that I threw out about 40-50% of the York Imperial apple. I noticed that the sting areas were starting to make the York Imperial apples go bad. The York Imperials were so badly effected by the stink bugs, I ended up making apple sauce so not to lose more; the sauce was great!

Now I am feverishly researching how to battle stink bugs in my orchard and garden next year.