Fiesta Apple Tree in distress - advice welcome :-)

Moderator: appledude

Ben

Fiesta Apple Tree in distress - advice welcome :-)

Post by Ben »

Howdy, I'm hoping for help with diagnosis and prognosis for my 3 year old Orange-Pippin bought Fiesta Apple tree.

Any advice is most welcome on what the problem might be and any actions which may help. If the tree does not heal I am considering, sadly, ending it's struggle and replacing it with a new tree.

> I bought this tree as a 2-year old and potted it in April 2013
> It lives inside a 50cm3 pot, close to 3 companion trees - a Spartan Apple, Victoria Plum and a Cherry tree
> The companion trees appear healthy and vibrant, and have grown significantly since April 2013
> All 4 live in a south facing garden backing onto a park in South London
> I use the same watering, feeding and pruning routine for all 4 trees, except that I thin the plumb and cherry trees significantly of the fruits they produce
> The Fiesta alone appears to be in distress

The first summer I owned the Fiesta the leaves it produced were small, narrow and some turned brown at the tips. To some extent this impacted the Spartan too. This year the Spartan appears vibrant but the Fiesta . . . unhappy.

Here are pictures of the small, narrow, shriveled leaves throughout most of the tree. The last picture alone shows healthier, full, vibrant looking leaves which are present on a newer branch at the top of the tree.

print screen windows xp

screen shot windows 7

free image uploader

image hosting free no registration

picture upload sites

Link to Google Photo's Album (all 5 pictures with comments)
https://plus.google.com/photos/10861243 ... -j4_pa1pwE
natbouman

Re: Fiesta Apple Tree in distress - advice welcome :-)

Post by natbouman »

A couple of my trees have the same problem. Would love to hear an answer to the OP's question.
OrangePippin-Richard

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

Growing fruit trees in containers is always problematic. What is the green and black material around the base of the tree?
OrangePippin-Richard

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

Also noticed some mildew infection, and what looks like catepillar traces (silk) in some of the photos.