Grafting pear onto hawthorne

Moderator: appledude

Murdog

Grafting pear onto hawthorne

Post by Murdog »

I have a bunch of Hawthorn that Id like to try to graft pear onto. Ive heard/read this is possible - does anyone have any experience with it?? I have ayers and kieffer and am planning on t budding in early august - Im in zone 6a - Western NY. thanks for any input :)
OrangePippin-Richard

Re: Grafting pear onto hawthorne

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

I've seen it done, but am not sure what special techniques are required if any.
appledude

Post by appledude »

I do this graft routinely, whip and tongue style mostly, but if the scion is too small and the hawthorn stock largish, I merely do a bark graft. Cover the entire scion with Doc Farewell glue or even school glue when finished grafting, binding and plugging air holes with kids modeling clay.

Some combinations will look ugly at the graft union for decades some will look smoother and nice, but all should be dwarfing and bear you some fruit. Mine do every year. Keep the deer from eating your trees!
Murdog

Post by Murdog »

thanks appledude
Im past bark grafting season so Im gonna try t budding - any advice?
thanks
appledude

Post by appledude »

You can t-bud but that still depends on bark slipping, so you could still do your bark graft. I like doing a whip and tongue even when sizes of wood are totally out of whack. Moisture loss is your enemy in any case. Cover scion with school glue after completing your graft this time of year. Buds will grow right through it when they are ready. I use Doc Farewell glue. Holds moisture I in.

Chip budding is tidier than t-buds and you can us chip budding right into October if you like -- anytime there are green leaves on the tree. It does not depend on bark slipping at all.
Enzoastro

Post by Enzoastro »

I've chip budded a medler onto hawthorn successfully, fruited in two years and is about 7-8 foot.
appledude

Post by appledude »

Please note, Enzoastro, that the medlar will at some point vastly overgrow the hawthorn, and a good windstorm will break your whole graft off. Speaking of graft union above ground. If you have buried the union, the medlar should eventually self root.