Apples Are GOOD For You!

Moderator: appledude

Uncle Jaque

Apples Are GOOD For You!

Post by Uncle Jaque »

We knew that already, of course; everybody knows the old "...Keeps the Doctor away" rubric.

Here's just more proof (as if we needed it) of why:

Eating organic apples is a healthy, natural way to stimulate weight loss:
(NaturalNews) An apple a day... you know the rest. This old adage has seen its day but is now becoming appropriate again. Several studies are re-examining the health values of bioactive compounds in apples over time.
http://www.naturalnews.com/047435_organ ... otics.html
Stephen Horsfall

Re: Apples Are GOOD For You!

Post by Stephen Horsfall »

Especially 'Ribston Pippin', which has one of the highest Vitamin C contents of any apple.
My apples: Brownlees' Russet, Bramley's Seedling, Dabinett, James Grieve, Egremont Russet, Cottenham Seedling, Tom Putt, Ribston Pippin, Isaac Newton's Tree.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

Include Calville Blanc to that list also.
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
Stephen Horsfall

Indeed - as I wrote on the "Red Delicious..." thread:
Lawrence D. Hills, doyen of organic gardening and founder of the Henry Doubleday Research Association, in his book 'Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables' (1971), gives a list of mainly British apples ordered by vit. C content in mgs per 100 gms. 'Ribston Pippin' heads the list at 30.00, and 'Calville Blanc' isn't on the list, but he admits it's not a complete list - I think it's varieties popular in the UK. He mentions another list of mainly Continental varieties, which was topped by 'Calville Blanche d'Hiver', which I think is the same variety as 'Calville Blanc', which has 31.80 mgs vit. C per 100 gms, so it does indeed just beat 'Ribston'. 'James Grieve' is rather low, at 6.80, but I still love it! 'Bramley's Seedling' is middling, at 16.00, but I'd guess that some vitamin C would be lost in cooking.
My apples: Brownlees' Russet, Bramley's Seedling, Dabinett, James Grieve, Egremont Russet, Cottenham Seedling, Tom Putt, Ribston Pippin, Isaac Newton's Tree.
OrangePippin-Richard

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

I have heard that the Vitamin C content decays rapidly after picking.
Stephen Horsfall

I may be squeezing one or two more apples into my garden, as cordons or fans against a south-east facing fence. Calville Blanche d'Hiver is a serious contender, but against it is the fact that it needs a hot summer in the UK to ripen fully.
Appleofmyeye

Post by Appleofmyeye »

Uncle Jaque wrote:We knew that already, of course; everybody knows the old "...Keeps the Doctor away" rubric.

Here's just more proof (as if we needed it) of why:

Eating organic apples is a healthy, natural way to stimulate weight loss:
(NaturalNews) An apple a day... you know the rest. This old adage has seen its day but is now becoming appropriate again. Several studies are re-examining the health values of bioactive compounds in apples over time.
http://www.naturalnews.com/047435_organ ... otics.html
Interesting. I have quite a healthy diet so am always keen to read about what foods are considered good and bad for us. I have some apple trees growing in my garden so they will definitely be eaten on a regular basis from now on! Saying that, what foods are considered good and bad changes constantly and I am always a little dubious about claims of weight loss!! They do though contain a lot of antioxidants and fiber which is good enough for me!