Apple variety pairing advice needed for new grower

Moderator: appledude

newapple

Apple variety pairing advice needed for new grower

Post by newapple »

Hello. We are new to apple growing and bought a few backyard trees recommended by a local nursery only to find that they may not be effective at pollinating each other. I have seen pairing suggestions online, but with multiple trees to consider, it's a bit overwhelming. We would love to have advice on other varieties to plant so that each tree produces apples. These are the varieties we currently have: Winesap, Empire, and Macintosh. We are in upstate NY.

Thank you for your help!
PA_Docent

Re: Apple variety pairing advice needed for new grower

Post by PA_Docent »

Plant a crabapple to pollinate your trees. Crabapples in my collection include Nehou, Siberian, Hewes Virginia, and Whitney (are all good polliators). Nehou and Hewes bloom the longest. Check Orange Pippin or Trees of Antiquity for these crabappples.

Michael
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
OrangePippin-Richard

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

Usually 3 different apple varieties would probably cross-pollinate, but Winesap is a triploid variety and therefore not a good pollinator of other varieties. Empire and McIntosh are very closely-related so may not pollinate each other effectively, although you should still get something. As PA_docent suggests, a crab-apple will help. Alternatively choose another couple of mid-season flowering apple varieties that are not related to McIntosh.
Greyt.Chase

Post by Greyt.Chase »

PA_Docent wrote:Plant a crabapple to pollinate your trees. Crabapples in my collection include Nehou, Siberian, Hewes Virginia, and Whitney (are all good polliators). Nehou and Hewes bloom the longest. Check Orange Pippin or Trees of Antiquity for these crabappples.

Michael
Please tell me you make cider with all those wonderful crab apples!!!
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

That's the plan to make cidre from my trees!
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
newapple

Post by newapple »

Thanks for the great tips, everyone. I may try both another mid season variety and a crab apple. Thanks again.