Crabapple for Forest Lake, MN?

Moderator: appledude

Randy

Crabapple for Forest Lake, MN?

Post by Randy »

Does anyone have an experienced recommendation for a good, edible crabapple which is prolific and hardy in Forest Lake, MN? We want one for jelly making.
Secondly, can you recommend a source for purchasing this crabapple? I am not having much luck finding a source for any edible crabapples.
Thank you very much.
OrangePippin-Scott
Site Admin

Dolgo Crab

Post by OrangePippin-Scott »

You may want to try Dolgo Crab. Sponsel's Minnesota Harvest has some at their orchard in Jordan, MN. To find out a little bit more about it, check out their website at http://www.minnesotaharvest.net/dates.htm
Randy

Thank you on the Dolgo

Post by Randy »

The dolgo looked good to me too, but the varieties section of All About Apples has very little info on it as a producer for jelly. It says it ripens in September. I will do some more digging on this variety online at other sites.

Thank you also for the suggestion on a source for crab apples in MN. I really appreciate your help.
Randy
appleman

Post by appleman »

Chesnut is a superb sweet crab apple. Excellen juice, jelly and fresh eating. It came out of the University of Minnesota apple breeding program. I grow it in zone 3. no problem. Available from Organic Sam's, Fedco Trees and many others. Centennial is a good choice too.
joe

Post by joe »

Thank you!
I prefer the Starck Tree!!

bye

joe