Granny Smith apples

Moderator: appledude

MJC

Granny Smith apples

Post by MJC »

:?: When does the Granny Smith apple rippen? Can apples from the tree ripen off the tree? The apples were given to me today, October 11 but had been picked a few days before. I live in the FingerLakes in New York as does the owner of the Granny Smith tree. Can I ripen the apples indoors? In a cool or room temperature place?
tkuntz

Post by tkuntz »

I doubt if your Granny's are mature enough to ripen. Granny harvest in Southern PA is the last week of October.
Cut one open and look at the seeds. If they are completely brown, they will ripen off the tree. If the seeds are partially white, they will never develop their full flavor off the tree.
MJC

Granny Smith apples picked on October 9, 2008

Post by MJC »

I found seeds of both colors in one of the apples. These apples appear to be quite a bit more juicy than the ones I got at the supermarket which were from California. They came in the end of September. So maybe they will be okay for a couple of pies. We did have a very warm summer up here which began earlier than usual and lasted longer.
MJC

Granny Smiths, ripen or not ripe???

Post by MJC »

Just made a pie from the ones that I was given and it is an excellent pie. The apples seemed to have many brown seeds but they were fairly juicy and a great taste.
MJC

Granny Smith apple pie from NY apples picked October 9

Post by MJC »

The pie was delicious, the apples still a bit firm after oooking but not mushy. Checking the seeds in each of the six I used, all had brown seeds and perhaps a few beige seeds. Think the pie was much better than the Granny Smiths from California; not particularly much of an apple taste in that pie. The farmer who gave them to me said they would ripen if they weren't already; he was right.
tkuntz

Post by tkuntz »

Sounds like your Granny's were ripe enough. The lakes probably moderate your temps enough to ripen Granny's a little ahead of us.

I'm a bit biased, but I've never been impressed by the CA Granny Smith that arrive here on the east coast. Never seem to have much flavor. Not sure if it's the environmental conditions or harvested prematurely for longer storage and shipping. CA grows a much prettier Granny than I can, but lacks in flavor. Mine get a red blush and the green is somewhat muddy, not a real bright green like CA.

Glad you got to enjoy a good pie!
MJC

Post by MJC »

Agree with you. But when there aren't any available, well......I used them. Still have about 6 left from original number and one of the California Grannys so that will be it. Just not a lot of people growing them up here.
igepoch234

Post by igepoch234 »

MJC

Post by MJC »

Your comment was not visible.
appledude

Post by appledude »

MJC wrote:Your comment was not visible.
Sorry, but igepoch234 was a prolific spammer. He has been deleted.