Gretna Green old apple variety

Moderator: appledude

katrina.richards

Gretna Green old apple variety

Post by katrina.richards »

Hi, Has anyone heard of an old apple called Gretna Green?
Cheers, Katrina in New Zealand
OrangePippin-Richard

Re: Gretna Green old apple variety

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

There is an example of this variety in the UK National Fruit Collection, but I have never tried it and can't find any details.

I assume it must come from the small town of Gretna Green, in Scotland, just over the border from England.
katrina.richards

Thanks for the speedy reply. I know an old lady in New Zealand who has one old tree. Its the only one I have come across and it has me curious. The description I have from her family is: inconspicuous apple, moderately small, more flattened shape than round. Skin white when ripe with some green around stem. Good flavoured cooking apple, cooks to apple sauce. Here in temperate climate New Zealand it is ready in late January (approximately similar time to to Irish Peach).
Katrina
katrina.richards

I can update a little about Gretna Green--I was given one last month (March--mid harvest in New Zealand), very over ripe. It was round, with shiney skin and noticeable lenticles, pale yellow in colour with a little pink blush. It had a short stalk, but a wide calyx depression. Raw it tasted OK but bland, maybe like an overripe Ballarat (an old Australian cooker of similar shape). It cooks to a smooth yellow puree that is very nice in flavour. Its cooked texture was silky on the tongue (very smooth). I have put a photo on my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/katrina.richards.7921
katrinarichards

Saved: Gretna Green apple

Post by katrinarichards »

I am delighted to report that Gretna Green seems to be safe now from being lost, the fates being kind. The original tree in Nelson area, New Zealand has died leaving one branch on a second tree there. I successfully grafted it on my own tree and have sent scion wood to multiple collectors around New Zealand. We sold several potted up grafted trees at a recent Tree Crops conference, too. :D Hopefully Gretna Green will stay around in the apple community now.
Kellogg Hill Farms

Post by Kellogg Hill Farms »

Very nice. It's always good to be able to keep a hard to find variety going. Good luck with this project!