European Mirabelle

Moderator: appledude

PA_Docent

European Mirabelle

Post by PA_Docent »

Can I get a cutting of the French "Mirabelle" (small, yellow plum) here in the USA? A friend of mine who knows about my interest in plants, recently returned from France and said that the Mirabelle does not grow true from pit and to get a true Mirabelle, I would require a cutting and graft onto my plum tree. Anyone know about Mirabelle propagation?
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
OrangePippin-Richard

Re: European Mirabelle

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

If you have a mirabelle seed from France I would give it a go. The French mirabelles such as de Nancy are not really cultivars but populations, so even if it does not grow true, it is still going to be the real thing, if you see what I mean.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

I will try to give it a go if/when I can get my hands on some pits. Thanks!
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
Mrs. G

Post by Mrs. G »

Hello, I have three mirabelles. Two Mirabelle de Nancy and one Mirabelle de Metz. They are both five years old. I bought them from Raintree Nursery in Washington State. I am in zone 6b-7a. They grow very well here. I will have my first fruit next year. Mrs. G