Ground moles, grubs, and nematodes

Moderator: appledude

Greyt.Chase

Ground moles, grubs, and nematodes

Post by Greyt.Chase »

Ok, so here is my problem. My yard is constantly getting torn up by ground moles. They are there because I have grubs. I read that the best non chemical way to get rid of them is by using nematodes. I have also read that nematodes can harm the roots of trees.

So, has anyone had issues with grubs and used nematodes in an orchard environment?
PA_Docent

Re: Ground moles, grubs, and nematodes

Post by PA_Docent »

I read someplace (maybe USDA) that nematodes are detrimental to orchards. I wanted to apply to my lawn where my apple trees are located; however have to look for an alternative. The voles (not moles) seem to be doing a good job at finding and eating grubs.
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
Greyt.Chase

Post by Greyt.Chase »

That's what I read as well. The nemotodes attack the roots of the trees and hinder growth.

I'd rather not use regular chemicals, which is what I think my neighbors use, because they never have mole hills in their yards.

It's pretty gross in May/June/July when all the grubs turn to June Bugs and fly all over the place.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

I have started noticing more than normal mole hills in the surrounding fields. I haven't noticed any in my neighbors yards. We had bumper crops of Jap. bettle, leaf hoppers, and crickets this year. I am lucky the voles moved in and dig holes about 1-2 inches deep about 3-4 feet out from my young trees and in the lawn; natural aerators. I have started collecting flat rocks and placing around my trees to keep the voles from getting any closer to the trunks and going after tree roots.

I will do more research about nematodes this winter before applying any to my gardens.
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch