Japaness beetle oddity

Moderator: appledude

rustyshoe

Japaness beetle oddity

Post by rustyshoe »

I'm in southeast missouri, and this year I noticed that the Japaness beetles attacked my liberty trees, and left the other trees almost untouched, can anyone explain why??

In between each Liberty tree is a Pristine tree, and the beetles selected the Liberty's.
PA_Docent

Re: Japaness beetle oddity

Post by PA_Docent »

I don't have Liberty however the Japanese beetles did not bother my apple trees. The tree they attacked was my Damson plum and left my other two plums alone. I got rid of the Damson so wonder which tree they will move to next?
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
Greyt.Chase

Post by Greyt.Chase »

I have issues with Japanese beetles. Have been trying to figure out a solution, and have been looking at spreading nematodes to kill the grubs. Does anyone know if there is adverse effect of nematodes on apple trees?

I'm getting sick of stomping down mole hills that are in my yard eating the beetle grubs.
aadowdell

Post by aadowdell »

Milky Spore Powder, an organic solution for those pesky bugs/ grubs. When I actively had them in my raised beds the racoons/ skunks dug up and destroyed my vegetables. Once applied, read the directions on back, it will last 10 years. However it is not immediate and has to go through one growing cycle, takes about a year.