Which Rootstock is Best for my soil type?

Moderator: appledude

mfreema2

Which Rootstock is Best for my soil type?

Post by mfreema2 »

I live in the Shenandoah valley in VA, Zone 6. My soil is heavy--not quite heavy clay, it has a nice brown color to it. I planted 25 EMLA 7 and 25 EMLA 26 rootstocks for future grafting. I am wondering whether I should switch to another rootstock variety. Any advice is appreciated. MSF
MSF
rdan56

Post by rdan56 »

I live in Bush, Louisiana which is about 70 miles north of New Orleans. I too wish to know which type of apple tree would grow in my yard. Please name the rootstock and the names of the types of apples that should grow and bear furit, with common name too. Thank You.
Robert
Robert, is my name and love is my game. No, money but I am date-able.
appledude

Re: Which Rootstock is Best for my soil type?

Post by appledude »

mfreema2 wrote:I live in the Shenandoah valley in VA, Zone 6. My soil is heavy--not quite heavy clay, it has a nice brown color to it. I planted 25 EMLA 7 and 25 EMLA 26 rootstocks for future grafting. I am wondering whether I should switch to another rootstock variety. Any advice is appreciated. MSF
You have probably already figured it out -- if they rootstocks grow healthy, the scions you select to graft to them should do just fine. I would not switch rootstocks if the current ones are doing fine.