Why did the Red Winesap and Transparent Apples disappear?

Moderator: appledude

parlorcitygal

Why did the Red Winesap and Transparent Apples disappear?

Post by parlorcitygal »

I remember, for most of my life, these huge juicy beautiful Winesap apples that I would find in Oct-Nov each year. Where have they gone? Are they wiped out forever or are they still growing somewhere? They were called just Red Winesap and they were the most beautiful and shiniest of apples. Actually, they were the only ones that I liked the flavor and texture of. The Stayman Winesap is no comparison to these. Stayman's are hard tight little apples with a more greenish tinge to them and more sour. Does anyone know?

Also, does anyone have information about the Transparent variety of apples? They are what my Mother and Grandmother's made the best apple pie and applesauce from. The area I live in was once a huge hillside orchard in the early 1900's. I knew of 2 of these trees until the 1980's when one went dead and the other was killed by pesticides my renter used to get rid of poison ivy. I remember them as a green, medium size apple when cooked turned to mush. The layers in the pie were there, but undetectable when you bit into it. Mom always called them Transparents but it could have been a different type. I have a feeling Mother Nature does not want me to eat apples since both have seemingly disappeared! :cry:
Drew Dubious

Re: Why did the Red Winesap and Transparent Apples disappear?

Post by Drew Dubious »

The Yellow Transparent Apple, Malus 'Yellow Transparent', has a skin that is clear yellow, and the flesh is white. The Yellow Transparent tree is very upright, precocious, and productive, so therefore, is a very heavy producer. It is an early yellow apple, ripening the first week in July. The fruit is tender, juicy, and mildly acid, making it a favorite for homemade applesauce and cooking. Pick before maturity for better storage life. Harvest time is mid-June to July. Careful early training, annual pruning and shaping are required to insure a healthy and productive tree. It is scab resistant. Plant about a month after the first killing frost in the fall or about a month before the last killing frost in the spring.
Drew Dubious

Post by Drew Dubious »

The Winesap apple is an old apple variety. It is still one of the leading strains being grown in the US. Winesap apples are good for eating, juice, and baking. Juicy and tart, the Winesap apple has a crisp, yellowish flesh covered with a deep red skin. This all-purpose apple has good keeping qualities.
The fruit is good sized. The flesh is tinged with yellow and sometimes red veins run through it. It is a firm, rather coarse, moderately crisp apple with a sprightly, medium acid taste. It is resistant to russeting.
Drew Dubious

Post by Drew Dubious »

Also, give me your renters name, address and city so I may pay a visit and administer a dope slap... :cry:
tkuntz

Post by tkuntz »

I still grow the Red Winesap apples in my orchard for sale at our roadside stand in PA. It is not grown by many growers anymore. The info Drew provided must have been from the 1940's or 50's.

The Yellow Transparent has been replaced by most commercial growers by the Lodi variety. Very similar in taste and make the same sauce, however the skin is a little thicker. Transparent apples bruise so easily commercial growers couldn't get them to the market without bruises. These are mostly limited to homeowner use as far as I know.

The Red Winesap and Lodi trees are available from Adams County Nursery (ACNursery.com)
The Yellow Transparent and Turley Winesap are available from Boyer Nursery (boyernurseries.com)
Both have excellent pictures and descriptions to help jog your memory.

If you are close to PA, we can help you out at our roadside market. I am able to ship Red Winesap anywhere in the US, however the Lodi are too soft to survive shipping.
For more info, please visit our web site at MVFarmmarket.com
Drew Dubious

Post by Drew Dubious »

I actually have red winesap in my backyard, right next to the courtland. IMO you will be hard pressed to find a better baking -and- cider apple.

Traditional, heritage growers still grow this variety as it was one of the most popular keeping apples and used extensively in cider production. When cold storage became a normal, apples which kept well were given up in trade for more commercially suitable variety, which has nothing to do with apple quality and everything to do with profit... Commercial growers do not plant this variety much anymore, and they have not since the early 1900s. Not the 40s-50s but... who cares about commercial growers anyhoo? :D

As for the transparent, no it does not transport well, but lets be honest here. If you have to transport your produce more than a few miles to sell it. You are missing the point completely!
macmanmatty

Post by macmanmatty »

are red winesap and giant winesap the same apple? I have a giant winesap tree in my orchard. No apples yet though. Are all winesaps triploid? I see nick botner lists about 10 winesaps but no giant or red.
Drew Dubious

Post by Drew Dubious »

I believe they are not the same apple.
appledude

Post by appledude »

Drew Dubious wrote:Also, give me your renters name, address and city so I may pay a visit and administer a dope slap... :cry:
LOL!
teprngr

Post by teprngr »

It is a pity that the hardy fruits that we grew up eating and plucking from our orchards have almost disappeared to being just home grown and not for commercial use – real pity. But I plan to buy the two varieties mentioned here so that we can have a taste of what it was back during the old timeshope we can see more of the Red Winesap and Transparent Apples growing at least in our backyard
Drew Dubious

Post by Drew Dubious »

Heheh, I swear, they are not uncommon!
parlorcitygal

Post by parlorcitygal »

Thanks everyone for your information! I do live near PA and if the distance is reasonable I will check out your farm market. I am anxious to try Lodi apples for my baking purposes. Very glad to see the nursery info, as I think I will have to have my own trees to get my supply of apples. All I see sold where I live is Red and Yellow Delicious (which I don't like), Grimes Golden, Stayman's, Gala and Granny Smith. I do see Lodi from time to time, but knew nothing about it. Thanks for all the help!