Has anyone tried fiesta?

Moderator: appledude

richk

Has anyone tried fiesta?

Post by richk »

I'm thinking about planting a Fiesta apple tree. I'm especially interested in hearing about disease resistance and performance in my zone 7 climate.
OrangePippin-Richard

Re: Has anyone tried fiesta?

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

I can't comment on zone 7 but I have a Fiesta tree in my back garden, it is a great apple with a really excellent Cox-style aromatic flavor. Cropping is fairly good too, and it is easy to grow without chemicals. I have not noticed any particular disease problems. The apples stay crisp for several months in the fridge but the flavor gradually fades, although it stays sweet. The only real downside is that it grows with a slightly strange straggling habit - so not a good choice if you want a feature tree in the garden, but apart from that a really good garden apple tree.

I would be surprised if you can find it in the US though, the only growers I am aware of are in the UK.
visio

Re: Has anyone tried fiesta?

Post by visio »

Fiesta is a cross between Cox's Orange Pippin and Idared, introduced in 1972, from Kent in England. It flowers slightly later in the year than many other apple varieties, making it a good choice for both cooler and slightly warmer areas. I like this. :)