Macintosh

Moderator: appledude

lilly

Macintosh

Post by lilly »

Macintosh because they are tart apples and taste good.
photojunkie

Post by photojunkie »

Macintosh, love that tart taste too and they are just a pleasant all around apple............
HonkerBonker

Post by HonkerBonker »

Mutsu (Crispin). Great taste and how can you go wrong eating an apple the size of a softball?
You've gotta love apples
joe

Post by joe »

Thank you! I prefer the Starck, from Itlay!!

bye and thanks

joe
danieljensen

spelling

Post by danieljensen »

Too bad you spelled it wrong. It's McIntosh, not a computer.
appledude

Post by appledude »

Mac's are a great apple. My tree has to be thinned of fruit when dime sized every year. If I do not thin, there are too many smaller apples that develop and the tree goes into "every other year" fruiting mode. When I thin to one apple to a spur, they give excellent sized fruit every year.
MileHi

Re: Macintosh

Post by MileHi »

My favourite apple is the Mcintosh because of it distinctive flavour. I find most other apples have that 'delicious apple' taste. They say the Mac isn't a good pie apple. Explain that to my entire family, especially to my late mother and grandmother. Their pies were mouth-watering and deadly good with a nice chunk of cheddar cheese. I live in Ontario, probably the heart of Canada's Mcintosh production. With the availability of almost every type of apple all year round, why aren't Mcintosh apples? Surely somewhere they are growing Mac's when the season is over in Canada.
appledude

Re: Macintosh

Post by appledude »

MileHi wrote:With the availability of almost every type of apple all year round, why aren't Mcintosh apples? Surely somewhere they are growing Mac's when the season is over in Canada.
I find that their window of peak quality is around a month or 45 days, max. I would not consider putting in a hundred acres of them when so many other apples store for market much better. When you do acres and acres of apples, it better be something you can earn money with and store, as most apples are stored in controlled atmosphere, at least the ones in large chain stores.

McIntosh is one of those "must haves" for the backyard orchard where one can browse between all the different short-lived flavors.

But you are right, there is nothing stopping somebody in Chile or Argentina from growing Macs and shipping them north at their peak flavor! The question is: are the South American farmers willing to take that gamble when long-storing Fuji, Granny Smith, Pink Lady and others are a sure bet?
PA_Docent

Re: McIntosh

Post by PA_Docent »

If you can obtain Macoun apples, you should give it a try. It is supposed to be developed from McIntosh and a smiliar flavor. I will have to wait three years for mine to start producing but waiting patiently (will be receiving in spring 2013).
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch