"pound apple" tree? Correct name

Moderator: appledude

Hunky

"pound apple" tree? Correct name

Post by Hunky »

About 15 years ago we purchased the lot next to our home from an elderly neighbor who could no longer maintain the property. Large apple tree on property was overgrown by grape vines for years. I got rid of the vines,trimmed it a little and even though the tree is all gnarled and looks like crap, it has been giving us the best baking apples on the planet. These apples are HUGE. When the weather is right and we don"t get a late frost we get more softball size apples than we can use. I want to buy a few of these trees for my kids who now have their own homes, but no one seems to know what kind of tree I have. The old lady and her relatives called it a "Pound Apple" tree. Anybody have any ideas? Can I grow my own with the seeds from this tree? New to the forum,hope these aren't really dumb questions. Thanks
sandra

Re: "pound apple" tree? Correct name

Post by sandra »

A photo might help us identify your cultivar.
Could it be Wolf River?
Perhaps the information on this page will answer the other questions in your post - in particular, how to grow your own :)
dmtaylor

Post by dmtaylor »

Is it a green/yellow color, or is it more yellow/red? The green one might be Pound Sweet. The yellow with red patches might be Wolf River. Both are available here:

http://maplevalleyorchards.com/Pages/Apple_Trees.aspx
Hunky

Post by Hunky »

dmtaylor wrote:Is it a green/yellow color, or is it more yellow/red? The green one might be Pound Sweet. The yellow with red patches might be Wolf River. Both are available here:

http://maplevalleyorchards.com/Pages/Apple_Trees.aspx
Apples are mostly red with a little yellow