How identify my variety ?

Moderator: appledude

Jahnine

How identify my variety ?

Post by Jahnine »

I am new to this website, and I have several old apple trees on my property. I wonder how i can identify what variety of apple tree I have? What is a good place to start? Thanks!
Skipley

Re: How identify my variety ?

Post by Skipley »

Here in Western Washington we have fruit growing societies and clubs that have fall shows with an apple/fruit I.D. panel at most- this usual consists of elders in the societies that have a lot of experience with especially older varieties. Reference books are typically part of the I.D. practice but have their limitations. I would start by looking up your local fruit societies. If this doesn't yield a local fall fruit show for you, consider coming out to the west coast around the end of October. For the http://www.homeorchardsociety.org/event ... ruit-show/Home Orchard Society[/url], Seattle Tree Fruit Society; Western Cascade Fruit Society is the umbrella organization of many regional societies.
OrangePippin-Richard

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

In the UK you can also send samples to the National Fruit Collection for identification.
jogburn

Post by jogburn »

I identified about 15 varieties in a neglected orchard through the East of England Apples and Orchard Project - they were wonderfully helpful. I did it by post, but they do attend a number of 'Apple Days' every autumn when you can take along a selection of fruit and ask the experts - they have a diary on their website http://www.applesandorchards.org.uk/

Good luck :-)

Jo
Uncle Jaque

Post by Uncle Jaque »

Does anyone know what kind of an apple this is?

We have a gnarled old apple tree growing wild on the edge of our woods near the stone wall that runs along Norris Hill Road on the border of our property. It sort of leans out towards the road under the power lines, and apparently the only reason why CMP hasn't cut it down is because they have a policy of not cutting apple trees. They have cut a number of other trees in the vicinity.

We have a few other apple trees I've discovered growing wild in our woods, but if they bear any fruit it's small, hard, green and inedible.
These are different.

They are a golden color with pink streaking and speckling around the top, a little smaller than the apples we buy at the store.
They have a wonderful, sweet, tart flavor sort of like a cross between a golden delicious and a pear. How many apples taste like a pear?

I have a feeling that these may be Grimes Golden, but not at all sure.
Do any experts out there have a clue?

There are several other old orchards around here; where can I post pictures in hopes of someone being able to take a guess at some of the more common varieties?
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Kellogg Hill Farms

Post by Kellogg Hill Farms »

Chances are that it is not a "variety" that's being propagated, such as Grimes golden. Its more likely a chance seedling that grew up and now shares traits of apples that you know.