Cameo

Moderator: appledude

cottonmama

Cameo

Post by cottonmama »

I used to be able to get these all the time, but in the last year they seem to have disappeared from my supermarkets. I love the nice appley flavor of Cameo -- sweet but not too sweet -- and I love that Cameo stays crisp and doesn't brown if cut up a day ahead.

Better texture than Fuji, better flavor than Honeycrisp. IMO its only real rival is Envy. (Which we haven't been able to get in a while, but compared to Cameo, I think Envy is a tiny bit too sweet. That's me being picky, though; Envy is a fantastic apple, too.)
Skipley

Re: Cameo

Post by Skipley »

Albertson's here in W Washington sells these and a few other Washington Supermarkets too. Lots in E. Washington. Did you want me to mail you a box? or...
When I was setting up my orchard 6 years ago I was searching for trees and was offered 1000 of these Cameo at $4 each grafted on bud 9. I declined because they are another scabby delicious strain. But I hear scab produces Salvestrol, an anti carcinogen.
Now scabby apples sell for twice the price!
Look for scabby Cameo in your supermarket.
Give me an apple with russeting and some apple scab. Apple scab (a leather like mark on the apple skin) is the apple’s reaction to fungus and is a common occurrence on the coast, where we have cool, wet, fungus-loving springs, and cool summer nights. But Mother Nature added a health bonus to scabby apples– When apples are exposed to fungus, they must fight back, and one of resulting byproducts created in the apple is SALVESTROL, which becomes a cancer-fighting agent for humans. The healthiest apples for you are ones that have to fight to survive. People in rural communities, and savvy shoppers, recognize apple scab as a sign that the apples were grown organically. It is as good as any organic certification. Scabby apples would not sell in a commercial grocery store, but will sell in a farmer’s market, where the grower is present. Another paradox is that people will pick a scabby apple off a tree and eat it, despite what it looks like, but would never buy that same apple in a store. We expect store apples to be flawless.
From Harry Burton