red fleshed apple

Moderator: appledude

limax

red fleshed apple

Post by limax »

Happened to pick up an apple from the floor that had fallen from an apple tree with very red apples.
I was surprised to find the apple was red to the core. Never seen this before. Even more surprised to find someone spent 20 years developing a red apple variety which was announced in 2010 (result of 20 years of painstaking work by Markus Kobert, a Swiss fruit grower).

He could have saved some time if he visited the Wirral!
It has a slightly plummy taste too!

How common are apples like this?

Thanks,
Neil
mebanana

Re: red fleshed apple

Post by mebanana »

How exciting! Do you own the tree?
skandia apples

Post by skandia apples »

There is a tree on the property next to me that has a tree that produces that kind of apple...Not sure what kind of apple it is...Could be a wild tree..Apples are good eating..and great for apple sauce. You are the only other person i've heard of that has seen this kind of apple.
Greyt.Chase

Post by Greyt.Chase »

I'm in Michigan, USA. There is an orchard within a half hour drive of my house that has multiple varieties of red fleshed apples. They make some awesome hard cider from the red fleshed apples. Check out this juice being pressed!

DannyAppleSeed

Post by DannyAppleSeed »

Greyt.Chase wrote:I'm in Michigan, USA. There is an orchard within a half hour drive of my house that has multiple varieties of red fleshed apples. They make some awesome hard cider from the red fleshed apples. Check out this juice being pressed!

]

Oh my god that looks amazing, reminds me of candy apples.
tigerbaby

Post by tigerbaby »

I'd love to make a batch of cider like that...
Do you know what variety they use? Ill actually be in MI this weekend for a cousin's wedding...may have to check it out, if I'm close.
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." (The Little Prince, Antoine Saint-Exupery)
buttonwillow

Post by buttonwillow »

The fellow who runs the website Skillcult is actively working on red fleshed apples. He has a number of youtube videos on the subject.
Richard65

Post by Richard65 »

I have an apple in my orchard that has a pink flesh, I believe it is a Katy but having only moved there 2 years ago I am still trying to identify all the varieties :)
Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk »

One varitey of red fleshed apple I know of is the Huonville crab:

https://www.orangepippin.com/varieties/ ... ville-crab

More info on it here:
https://www.woodbridgefruittrees.com.au ... rfing.html
GenePaul

Post by GenePaul »

Hi,
There are dozens of red-fleshed apple varieties available. Some more readily so than others. Albert Etter's breeding in the late 1800's and early 1900's produced several including 'Grenadine' which is one of the varieties that Steve at Sklicult uses He uses other varieties of Etter's apples as well. See interesting information on Albert Etter at Greenmantle Nursery website. They offer Etter scion wood. Wickson, Niedwetzkyana, Mountain Rose, Robert's Red, Redfield, Crimson Gold, a host of others, and all of the Redlove apples are all red-fleshed.
Skipley

Post by Skipley »

I am growing several varieties. This photo above looks like the dark red Pendragon juice Ive squeezed here. Redfield is not quite as dark. My favorite for eating is the Christmas Pink- watermelon texture and color -perfect at Christmas time. The Budogovsky rootstock apples are quite red too. I do sell trees- about 450 varieties available or scionwood/rootstock if you prefer to make your own. :oops: