New varieties to look out for!!

Moderator: appledude

Aherm

New varieties to look out for!!

Post by Aherm »

Good evening everyone. First off I am new to this site and would like to give you all a heads up of what is to come to the apple world! I am a apple grower in Wayne county New York, I have been farming for 8 years now and I must say in the past 3 years there has been a lot of buzz about new varieties especially Honeycrisp crosses. I would like everyone to look out for some of these varieties in your local supermarket or farm market. First off being the Snapdragon it is being harvested now. It is a Honeycrisp cross deep red color conical shape like a Gala SUPER CRUNCHY texture and sweet flavor bread by Cornell University. Next is the Ruby Frost another Cornell apple. It is a Dark red very firm apple. It is tart off the tree but sweetens in storage. It keeps firmness when cooked makes for an excellent baking apple or if you desire a semi sweet apple a good fresh eater. Another one that I am really excited about is the Evercrisp. It is another Honeycrisp cross but it is a very late variety here in New York we will harvest this at the end of October. The apple is very round and very large. Color is kinda a dull red not very bright coloring with a greenish background. It is sweet and crunchy with a firm flesh. This apple keeps very well in basic storage as well as your refrigerator. So if anyone see's any of these in the store try them out and let me know what you think!