Raccoon control

Moderator: appledude

jhatchett

Raccoon control

Post by jhatchett »

I have 2 apple orchards in NE Oklahoma, both in remote rural locations. Each has about 10 trees. Trees are individually enclosed in 10 ft. square 6 foot tall fencing. Deer stay out, but since my trees have started to bear, raccoons have taken all the immature apples. I have tried trapping and flashing light repellents as well as noxious odor repellents, and they still took all my apples this year (plus broke many branches). I need the most effective means of protecting my trees and apples. I plan using Surround next year to protect from sunburn, but doubt that would deter raccoons. Anyone with experience with raccoon control?
sirtango

Re: Raccoon control

Post by sirtango »

Duke's 'Coon Cuffs work very well! I have had a lot of problems with raccoons. The traps are dog proof and will hold them until you deal with them. Just place a marshmallow under the trigger and apply a couple drops of anise (licorice) oil, or drop in a licorice flavored jelly bean or two. When the coon reaches in and tries to pull out the goodies he hits the trigger and will be waiting on you the next morning.
jhatchett

Post by jhatchett »

I used Duke's dog free raccoon traps and trapped lots of coons last year, but the survivors still got my apples. This year, I invested in electric fencing for both orchards and continued trapping. Early on (May, early June) I started catching raccoons but after the first few, I have not caught another, though I did get a few possums. Deer feeders close by show lots of raccoons on trail cameras eating corn, but none have visited my raccoon traps. They may have gotten the message that 8000 volts and 1/2 joule shocks are not worth getting to the apples. (This is the same method for keeping raccoons out of corn gardens). I have harvested Williams Pride and have Honeycrisp, Kidds Orange Red, Rubinette, Winesap, Golden Delicious, and Arkansas Black on the trees. I would recommend electric fencing for raccoon predation as the best approach if raccoon predation is heavy.
DannyAppleSeed

Post by DannyAppleSeed »

Do you have any animals? The first thing I would say is to have the dog stay out with the trees for a couple nights. Are you looking for a humane way or would culling them be acceptable?