Black rot

Moderator: appledude

Ironweed

Black rot

Post by Ironweed »

Hi all,

This is my first post so I hope that the images appear here with the content of my question. I planted nine Donald Wyman crabapples to create a border with the road about 4 years ago. These were probably not the wisest choice, there are many wild crabapples on the other side of the road and my conditions here are wet, particularly the last two years here in southeastern Pennsylvania. After adding better ditching and a french drain they appeared to be leafing out more fully this spring season but now I'm getting what appears to be black rot fungus in the form of frogeye spot on the leaves and--more concerning--bark splits and cankering on the bark. I'm hoping that a knowledgeable soul could give me an opinion on whether the trees are salvageable given the presence of fungal infestation in bark tissues. I'm assuming that I'd need to spray with something like Captan next spring but I fear this might not be enough given the extent of infection. Judging from the attached pictures, can these trees be saved through a spraying regimen? Thank you for taking a look, -IW in PA
Ironweed

Re: Black rot

Post by Ironweed »

I'm severely restricted in the imagery this posting format will accept. I'll try my luck elsewhere.