Which Apple Variety Do I Have?

Moderator: appledude

xwshfulthinkngx

Which Apple Variety Do I Have?

Post by xwshfulthinkngx »

Hello all, This is my first post on this forum. A couple of years ago I found an apple tree in my boyfriend's huge backyard. The apples were smaller in size, greenish yellow in base color with lots a of red all over. The flesh is crisp and great for baking and light in color. I don't know what else makes a difference in picking which variety it may be. Last year it didn't have any fruit because it had a huge weed choking it but it is doing so well this year and it is loaded with blossoms right now with some fruit about the size of a dime. Any ideas?
xwshfulthinkngx

Re: Which Apple Variety Do I Have?

Would pictures of the blossoms and the tiny apples help out?
appledude

Post by appledude »

Pretty hard to ID and apple online without pics, and even with pics I do not guarantee an ID, but maybe somebody here can fathom a guess.

Does it have long stems or really short stems?

Any chance it is a seedling apple, or does it look "planted on purpose"?

Thin out the developing apples to only one per cluster, or it may overbear this year and give you nothing next year.
xwshfulthinkngx

Well it definitely looks planted on purpose so its at least 7 years old.

Anyone's best guess would be good and if you need different pictures just let me know.

But what you're saying is that there should only be one apple per bunch?
tkuntz

Post by tkuntz »

It is very difficult to help identify the variety in the spring. You may need to let us see the finished product in the fall.

In the fall, pictures of the stem end and the calyx (bottom) would be helpful as well as your opinion on the flavor (sweet, tart, spicy etc)

Yes, Appledude means to "thin" the apples so there is only one in a bunch, and only one apple every 4-6 inches so the tree can support the crop and return bloom next season.
xwshfulthinkngx

Ok great, Thanks for the information. The year I did harvest some fruit they was sweet but had a very firm flesh, awesome for baking. I'll send more pictures as they become bigger and more identifiable.
tkuntz

Post by tkuntz »

To those out there trying to help identify this one...I notice it's a terminal bearer with lots of blind wood. I never saw an apple tree with that growth habit, but maybe someone else will recognize it. The only terminal bearer that I grow that resembles the growth habit is Rome. But Rome are rounder than this apple appears. Almost looks loby like a Delicious?
xwshfulthinkngx

Do you think it could be possible that there are two different kinds of apples on the tree? The first picture is on the front of the tree and the second one is on the back. They seem different in the way they are shaped.