What to do with a much loved tree that is in the way

Moderator: appledude

appleeater

What to do with a much loved tree that is in the way

Post by appleeater »

I have a 30 year old apple tree that was planted in memory of a pet. It is going to be in the way of a house extension so I was wondering what were the chances of it surviving being moved. It has canker, but produces lots of apples (I think it is Sunset). Should I try and move it or can I take a cutting from it or should I say goodbe to it and plant a new tree instead?
Outback Orchard

Re: What to do with a much loved tree that is in the way

Post by Outback Orchard »

Probably to big to move but you could take a scion from it now and graft it to a suitable rootstock this spring.
OrangePippin-Richard

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

I agree, it is unlikely to survive being moved, best to arrange to propagate a cutting from it.

I assume you are in the UK, since Sunset is a popular UK variety. If so most nurseries will do their grafting in February, so you would need to start making arrangements fairly soon. Alternatively you could buy some rootstocks and try grafting yourself, get yourself a copy of the Grafters Handbook by Garner first (a library should have it).
appleeater

Post by appleeater »

Thanks for the replies. I thought it would be too big to move. So nurseries will do the grafting for me? I think it will be a waste of time me trying to do it, I'm not very green fingered. Will it matter that the tree has canker?
OrangePippin-Richard

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

Old trees usually have lots of disease. Ideally you want to graft using a young fresh shoot that grew last season. Another idea would be to gently prune the tree during winter, as this will encourage new growth over the summer, which you can then use for bud-grafting - a local nursery should be able to help in late July. Get as many shoots grafted as possible, and hopefully some of them will be good.
appledude

Post by appledude »

appleeater wrote:Will it matter that the tree has canker?
If the canker is fungal you could get some good scions off it still. Plus if you are moving to a non-fungal environment it might never get it again as a new graftling.

I sometimes run into fungal evidence when I cut scions. Hafta be careful, usually fungal canker will just ruin the whole graft and you will eventually know it is dead.